Christine Nero Coughlin
Director, Legal Analysis, Research & Writing
Professor of Legal Writing
- An Advocate Persuades (Carolina Academic Press 2015) (with Joan Malmud Rocklin, Robert Rocklin and Sandy Patrick).
- A Lawyer Writes, 2nd edition (Carolina Academic Press 2013) (with Sandy Patrick and Joan Malmud).
- Health Law: A Context and Practice Casebook, (forthcoming Carolina Academic Press 2013) (work in progress).
- A Lawyer Writes. (Carolina Academic Press 2008) (with Sandy Patrick and Joan Malmud).
- Andrew J. McClurg, 1L of a Ride, 2nd edition (Thompson-West 2013) (revised and updated co-authored chapter on Legal Research and Writing).
- Linda Edwards, Briefs that Changed the World, (Aspen 2012) (contributed excerpt from "The Other Side of the Story: Using Cognitive Tools of Graphic Organization to Teach Counter-Analysis" to chapter on Disagreement).
- Bioethics and the Law: Using Moot Court as a Tool to Teach Effective Argumentation Skills, (Routledge 2011) (co-authored chapter wth Tracey Banks Coan and Barbara Lentz).
- Andrew J. McClurg, 1L of a Ride, (Thompson-West 2008) (co-authored chapter on Legal Research and Writing).
Selected Articles/Essays/Media Contributions
- "Election 2016: The Potentially Polarizing Effects of Search Engines, Social Media and Motivated Reasoning," Huffington Post, October 26, 2016, available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/search?keywords=christine+coughlin+blog&sortBy=recency&sortOrder=desc.
- "1L of a Ride Video Teaching Series," (Thompson-West, forthcoming Spring, 2016).
- "E-Formed Consent: Can Informed Consent be just a Click Away?," 50 Wake Forest L. Rev. 381 (2015) (symposium issue).
- "Legal Methods for Medical Professionals Year 2: Shifting Negative Attitudes," 9 Ind. Health L. Rev. 535 (2012) (by invitation).
- "Legal Methods for Medical Professionals: Implementing a Medical School Rotation in the Law School to Promote Greater Cooperation and Understanding Between the Professions," 21 Annals Health L. 257 (2012).
- "Training Doctors to Speak the Language of the Law," available at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christine-nero-coughlin/doctor-health-reform_b_1093133.html.
- "Pluripotent Stem Cells: The Search for the Perfect Source," 12 Minn. J. L. Sci. & Tech. 715 (2011) (with Nancy King and Dr. Anthony Atala) (multiple SSRN top ten download recipient).
- "The Carnegie Report and Legal Writing: Does the Report Go Far Enough?," 17 J. Legal Writing Inst. 279 (2011) (with Lisa McElroy and Deborah Gordon) (multiple SSRN top ten download recipient) (by invitation).
- "When Doctors Become "Patients": Advocating a Patient-Centered Approach for Health Care Workers in the Context of Mandatory Influenza Vaccinations and Informed Consent," 45 Wake Forest University L. Rev. 1551 (2010) (with Nancy King and Kathi Kemper) (symposium piece) (multiple SSRN top ten download recipient).
- "Failure is Not an Option: What Legal Educators Can Learn from NASA's Signature Pedagogies To Improve Student Outcomes," 75 J. Air Law Commerce 503 (2010) (with Lisa McElroy) (lead article) (SSRN top ten download recipient).
- "An Examination of the Power of Narrative: A Review of Health Law & Bioethics," 37 J. of Law, Med. & Ethics, 857 (2010).
- "The Other Side of the Story: Using Cognitive Tools of Graphic Organization to Teach Counter-Analysis," 39 U. Balt. L. Rev. 227 (2010) (with Lisa T. McElroy) (by invitation).
- "See One, Do One, Teach One: Dissecting Medical Education's Signature Pedagogy in the Law School Classroom," 26 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 361 (2010) (with Lisa T. McElroy & Sandy Patrick).
- "Ethics in Regenerative Medicine," Wake Forest Intell. Prop. L.J. (2009) (with Nancy King & Mark Furth) (three-time SSRN top ten list Recognition for Ethics).
- "Cogito Ergo Sum or I Think, therefore, I am [A Lawyer?]: A Comment on "Is 'Thinking Like A Lawyer' What We Want to Teach?"," 1 J. ALWD 113 (October, 2002).