John W. & Ruth H. Turnage Professor of Law
Location: Worrell 3137
- "Sports Law and Regulation: Cases, Materials and Problems," (with Matthew Mitten, Robert Berry and Rodney K. Smith) (Aspen, 2d ed. 2009).
- "The Business of Sports Agents," (with Kenneth L. Shropshire) (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2d ed. 2008).
- "Sports Law and Regulation: Cases, Materials, and Problems," (with Matthew Mitten, Robert Berry & Rodney K. Smith) (Aspen, 2005).
- "The Business of Sports Agents," (with Kenneth L. Shropshire) (University of Pennsylvania Press, 2003).
- "A Reader on Race, Civil Rights, and American Law: A Multiracial Approach," (with Kevin Johnson and George Martinez) (Carolina Academia Press, 2001).
- "Sports and the Law: a Modern Anthology," (with Kenneth L. Shropshire and Alfred Mathewson) (Carolina Academic Press, 1999).
Law Review Articles and Essays
- American Needle, Inc. v. NFL: Reflections on its Labor Law Implications, 1 Wake Forest L. Rev. online 1 (2011).
- Eradicating Student-Athlete Sexual Assault of Women: Section 1983 and Personal Liability Following Fitzgerald v. Barnstable, 2009 Michigan State L. Rev. 629 (with Keith E. Smith).
- UCC Breach of Warranty and Contract Claims: Clarifying the Distinction, 61 Baylor L. Rev. 783 (2009).
- Athlete Eligibility Requirements and Legal Protection of Sports Participation Opportunities, 8 Virginia Sports & Entertainment L. J. 71 (2009) (with Matt Mitten).
- The Intersection of Race and Sports: An Historical Perspective, 7 Virginia Sports & Enter. L. J. 291 (2008) (symposium contribution).
- Tort Liability of Coaches for Injuries to Professional Athletes: Overcoming Policy and Doctrinal Barriers, 76 UMKC L. Rev. 571 (2008) (symposium contribution).
- Avila v. Citrus Community College District: Shaping the Contours of Immunity and Primary Assumption of the Risk, 17 Marquette Sports L. J. 259 (2006) (symposium contribution).
- Regulating the Athlete-Agent Industry: Intended and Unintended Consequences, 42 Willamette L. Rev. 781 (2006) (symposium contribution).
- What is Sports Law?, 11 Marquette Sports L. J. 211 (2001).
- Reply to Sack and Staurowsky, 10 Marquette Sports L. J. 123-26 (1999).
- Teaching Sports and the Law: The Relevance of Race, 1 Virginia J. of Sports & Law 250-61 (1999).
- Racism in Athletics: Subtle Yet Persistent, 21 UALR L. Rev. 881-900 (1999) (contribution to symposium issue--Racial Equity in the Twenty-First Century).
- Intercollegiate Athletics in the Next Millennium: A Framework for Evaluating Reform Proposals, 9 Marquette Sports L. J. 253-71 (1999) (contribution to symposium issue--Sports Law in the 21st Century).
- Student-Athlete Violence Against Women: Defining the Limits of Institutional Responsibility, 55 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 55-116 (1998).
- Balancing Freedom of Contract and Competing Values in Sports, 38 South Texas L. Rev. 1115-46 (1997) (contribution to symposium--Sports Law as a Reflection of Society's Laws and Values).
- Who's In and Who's Out: Racial Discrimination in Sports: A Review Essay of Kenneth Shropshire's In Black and White: Race and Sports in America, 28 Pacific L. J. 341-72 (1997).
- College Athletics: Testing the Boundaries of Contract and Tort, 29 UC Davis L. Rev. 971-1017 (1996).
- African-American Student-Athletes: Marginalizing the NCAA's Regulatory Structure?, 6 Marquette Sports L. J. 199-227 (1996) (contribution to symposium issue--Race and Sports).
- A Model for Institutional Governance for Intercollegiate Athletics, 1995 Wisconsin L. Rev. 599-645 (contribution to symposium issue--The NCAA and the Student-Athlete).
- The Myth of the Superspade: The Persistence of Racism in College Athletics, 22 Fordham Urban L. J. 625-98 (1995).
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Competing Models and Conflicting Realities, 25 Rutgers L. J. 269-327 (1994).
- The Illusive Warranty of Workmanlike Performance: Constructing a Conceptual Framework, 72 Neb. L. Rev. 981-1045 (1993).
- Student-Athlete Prospective Economic Interests: Contractual Dimensions, 19 T. Marshall L. Rev. 585-626 (1994) (contribution to symposium issue--Current Trends in the U.S. Sporting Arena).
- Examining Educational Malpractice Jurisprudence: Should a Cause of Action be Created for the Student-Athlete?, 69 Denver Univ. L. Rev. 57-96 (1992).
- Ross v. Creighton University: Seventh Circuit Recognition of Limited Judicial Regulation of Intercollegiate Athletics?, 17 S. Ill. Univ. L. J. 85-115 (1992).
- An Absence of Good Faith: Defining a University's Educational Obligation to Student-Athletes, 28 Houston L. Rev. 743-90 (1991).
- From Barry Bonds to USADA: Protecting the Interests of "Drug-Free" Athletes published in "Reversing Field: Examining Commercialization, Labor, Gender, and Race in 21st Century Sports Law, West Virginia University Press (2010).
- The Persistence of Unconscious Racism in College Sport in "Diversity and Social Justice in College Sports" (Fitness Technology, Inc., 2007).
- Academic Inequity and the Impact of NCAA Rules in "Diversity and Social Justice in College Sports" (Fitness Technology, Inc., 2007).
- Crossing the Color Line: The New York Yankees and Race Relations, book chapter in "Courting the Yankees: Legal Essays on the Bronx Bombers" (Robert Jarvis ed.) (Carolina Academic Press, 2003).
- Race, Law and NCAA Rules and Regulations, book chapter in "Racism in College Athletics: The African-American Experience" 245-65 (2nd ed. 1999).
- Coparticipant and Coaches' Liability in High School and College Sports, CLE Program "Amateur Sports and the Law" sponsored by the Sports and Entertainment Law Section of North Carolina Bar Association, October 2, 2008 (with David Rea and Taylor Fleming).
- The Line Between Amateur and Professional Sports, ((with David Ginzer and Brian Conley) (Sports and Entertainment Law Conference, Texas Bar Association, Austin, Texas, October 12, 2007).
- Overview of Select Legal Issues Arising in Golf, CLE Program "The Law of Golf" sponsored by the Sports and Entertainment Law Section of North Carolina Bar Association, September 15, 2005.
- Recent Developments in Sports Law, Annual Meeting of the National Federation of State High School Associations' Summit and Legal Meeting, April 2005.
- Current Developments in Sports and Entertainment Law, CLE Program "Sports and Entertainment Law: Keys to Representing Athletes, Musicians and Teams," sponsored by Sports and Entertainment Law Section of North Carolina Bar Association, October 2001.
- Current Developments in Sports and Entertainment Law, Meeting of Sports and Entertainment Law Section of North Carolina Bar Association, Dec. 2000.
- What is Sports Law?, 30 Wake Forest Jurist 8 (July 2000).
- What is Sports Law?, Sports and Entertainment Law for the New Millennium, CLE sponsored by North Carolina Bar Association.
- Review of Kenneth Shropshire, In Black and White: Race and Sports in America (1996), 15 Entertainment & Sports Lawyer 12, (Spring 1997).
- University Duty to Provide Educational Opportunity to Student Athletes, 5 Texas Entertainment & Sports L. J. (1995).
- Race and Sports in Intercollegiate Athletics, 6 For the Record 3 (Aug/Sept. 1995).
- An Absence of Good Faith: Defining A University's Educational Obligation to Student-Athletes (edited and condensed version) 25:1 The Brief (Fall 1992).