Professor of Law and Professor of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- "The End of Straight Supremacy: Realizing Gay Liberation," (Cambridge University Press, Forthcoming, 2011).
- "Sexuality and the Law in Context: Cases and Materials," (West, American Casebook Series, 2007) (with updates). (2nd ed., forthcoming, 2011).
- "Sexual Politics: The Gay Person in America Today," (University of Akron Press, Law, Politics, and Society Series, 2006). ALA Stonewall Prize for Gay/Lesbian Non-fiction Nominee; Lambda Literary Foundation Notable Book (non-fiction); Scribes Prize Nominee.
- "Constitutional Status of Gay Marriage," in Michael K. Curtis, J. Wilson Parker, et al, Constitutional Law in Context 2nd ed. (Carolina Academic Press, 2006).
- "Same-Sex Marriage and Religious 'Liberty': A Collision Course," in Simeon Ilesamni, et al, The Rule of God and the Rule of Law (University of Virginia Press, 2012, forthcoming).
- "Patriarchal Religion, Sexuality, and Gender: An Introductory Essay," (criticizing "new natural law" theory and introducing the inaugural symposium of the Wake Forest Journal of Law and Policy, forthcoming, 2011).
- "Against Same-Sex Marriage," (my portion of a published debate with Professors Nelson Tebbe and Deborah Widiss, published as Shannon Gilreath, Debate, The Argument for Same-Sex Marriage, 159 U. Pa. L. Rev. PENNumbra 21 (2010) (available at http://www.pennumbra.com/debates/pdfs/Marriage.pdf).
- "Not a Moral Issue: Same Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty," 2010 U. Ill. L. Rev. 205 (2010).
- "Some Penetrating Observations on the Fifth Anniversary of Lawrence v. Texas: Privacy, Dominance, and Substantive Equality Theory," 30 Women's Rights Law Reporter 442-478 (2009).
- ""Tell Your Faggot Friend He Owes Me $500 for My Broken Hand:" Thoughts on a Substantive Equality Theory of Free Speech," 44 Wake Forest Law Review 557-615 (2009). Also chaired the symposium of which this article was a part: "Equality-based Perspectives on the Free Speech Norm: 21st Century Considerations."
- "Transforming Teenagers into Sex Felons: The Persistence of the Crime Against Nature after Lawrence v. Texas," 43 Wake Forest Law Review 155-221 (2008) (with Michael Kent Curtis).
- "Sexually Speaking: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the First Amendment after Lawrence v. Texas," 15 Duke Journal of Gender, Law, and Policy 127-193 (2008).
- "Of Fruit Flies and Men: Rethinking Immutability in Equal Protection Analysis--with a View toward a Constitutional Moral Imperative," 9 Journal of Law and Social Change 1 (2006).
- "The Technicolor Constitution: Popular Constitutionalism, Ethical Norms, and Legal Pedagogy," 9 University of Texas Journal on Civil Liberties and Civil Rights 23-44 (2003).
- "Cruel and Unusual Punishment and the Eighth Amendment as a Mandate for Human Dignity: Another Look at Original Intent," lead article, 25th Anniversary edition, 25 Thomas Jefferson Law Review 559-592 (2003).
- "42 U.S.C. Section 1983 in the Courts," North Carolina Bar Association program on litigation under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, March 2003. (discussing the history of the anti-discrimination protection of Section 1983).
- "Vocational Experts versus Vocational Specialists: To Object or Not to Object," North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers (2002) (with Deborah F. Maury).
- "Artists and the First Amendment," North Carolina Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, June 2004.
Selected Essays and Op-eds
- Know Thine Enemy, PRIDE and Equality Magazine (Jan./Feb. 2006) (discussing gay service men and women in the Iraq war effort).
- Why Marriage? PRIDE and Equality Magazine (July/August 2005) (discussing the importance of civil marriage to the socio-legal status of lesbian and gay Americans).
- First Amendments, New Humanist Magazine, Vol. 120, no. 3, 10-11, May/June 2005. (discussing the intermingling of religion and American politics).
- "Gay Rights and the Religious Right (and Left?)," Whosoever Magazine, Vol. 9, No. 5, March 2005.
- "Outing Sponge Bob: The Mis-Education of America's Gay Youth," Queer Day, February 21, 2005.
- "Don't Use the Constitution to Fight Culture Wars," Winston-Salem Journal, guest columnist, 02-19-2003, page 11A. (discussing the proposed North Carolina and federal marriage amendments).
- "State Law Should Reflect High Court Ruling," Winston-Salem Journal, guest columnist, 07-05-2003, page 11. (discussing the application of Lawrence v. Texas to N.C. law).
- Poetry, "Judas Kiss," in Poetic Voices without Borders 2 (Gival Press, 2007).