Managing Attorney, The Elder Law Clinic
Clinical Professor of Law
Location: Worrell 2143
- "What is Elder Law?" 2013 Basics of Elder Law, N. C. Bar Association Elder Law Section, October 2013.
- Book chapter, "State-of-the-Art Problem-Solving: Medication of Guardianship Disputes," Comparative Perspectives on Adult Guardianship, Kimberley Dayton, ed. (Carolina Academic Press) (forthcoming August 2013).
- Book chapter, "Geriatric Care: Elder Law in the Health Care Setting," with Eric J. Hardt, M.D., in Poverty, Health and Law: Readings and Cases for Medical-Legal Partnership. Elizabeth Tobin Tyler, ed. (2011) Carolina Academic Press.
- "The Human Touch: The Clinical Teaching of Elder Law," 40 Stetson L. Rev. 151, Fall 2010.
- Book review of "Theories on Law and Ageing: The Jurisprudence of Elder Law," (Springer 2009, edited by Israel Doron), in NAELA Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Spring 2010).
- "May I Introduce You to Your Lawyer: How We Built the Legal Resources We Will Need." Experience magazine (ABA Senior Lawyers Division), Fall 2009. Vol. 19, No. 3.
- "Board Certification in Elder Law -- Coming Soon To Your State Bar," "The Specialist" of the North Carolina State Bar, Sept. 2008, Vol. 7, No. 2.
- "The Rights of Older Persons: Collection of International Documents," Editors: Israel Doron and Kate Mewhinney (2007); publisher International Federation on Ageing and JDC-ESHEL.
- "North Carolina Tries Mediation for Estate and Guardianship Disputes," Bifocal (newsletter of the ABA Commission on Law and Aging), Feb. 2007, Vol. 28, No. 3.
- "Ideals and High Heels: A Look at Wake Forest University's Elder Law Clinic." 11 N.C. St. B.J. 20 (2006).
- "Gifts with Powers of Attorney -- Are We Giving the Public What it Wants?" 35 Wake Forest Jurist Magazine (Summer 2005) 14-17. Reprinted in The North Carolina State Bar Journal, Vol. X, No. 4, Winter 2005. Reprinted in "Experience" magazine, ABA Senior Lawyers Division, Vol. 16, No. 3, Spring 2006.
- "Is There a Lawyer in the House? Wake Forest's Medical/Legal Collaboration," Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center Report, Winter 2002, Vol. 3, Issue 1.
- Guest Editor of NAELA Quarterly (The Journal of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys), special issue on elder law developments in other countries, Vol. 13, No. 4, Fall 2000.
- "Variables Predicting the Completion of an Advance Directive by Older Adults," C. Colenda, M.D., M.P.H.; M. Jensen, PhD; J. Foster, M.Div.; B. Kendrick, D.Min.; K. Mewhinney, J.D.; and C. Messick, M.D., M.S.. Annals of Long-Term Care, Vol. 6 No. 3, March 1998.
- Organizer, "Elder Law Symposium," Summer 1997, Wake Forest Law Review, Vol. 32, No. 2.
- Book review of Advanced Medical Directives, by Alan J. Lieberson, J.D., M.D., in The Elder Law Report (monthly publication by Little Brown), Vol. VII, No. 8, March 1996.
- "A Youthful Approach to Elder Law at Wake Forest University," 6 Experience 16 (ABA Senior Lawyers Division), Winter 1996.
- "The Deed That Bites Back: Why You Need to Know About Medicaid," N.C. Bar Assoc. Real Property Section Newsletter, Vol. 15, No. 3, April 1994; reprinted in NCBA General Practice Section Newsletter, Vol. 12, No. 1, Sept. 1994.
- "Legal Aspects of Geriatric Medicine" chapter, Principles of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, (3rd ed.) Hazzard WR, Andres R, Bierman EL, Blass JP; McGraw-Hill 1993.
Articles in Elder Law, newsletter of the N.C. Bar Association Elder Law Section:
- "The Mediator: Coming Soon to a Guardianship Case Near You?" March 2005; reprinted in "The Intermediary," newsletter of N.C. Dispute Resolution Commission, August, 2005.
- "Three Simple Steps Lawyers Can Take to Protect a Home: Medicaid and the 'Intent to Return Home' Rule," Vol. 24, No. 3, March 2003, with John T. Griffin, law student; reprinted in newsletters of NCBA Real Property Section (June 2003) and Estate Planning Section (Nov. 2003).
- "Elder Law Becoming Popular Specialization for Recent Grads," Vol. 6, No. 3, June 2002 p. 1.
- "Medicaid Myths," Vol. 6, No. 2, March 2002, p. 3.
- "Prosecuting and Preventing Financial Abuse Under Powers of Attorney," Vol. 6, No. 1, Jan. 2002, p. 5, with Alex MacClenahan, third year law student.