Professor of Law
Location: Worrell 2318
Books, Articles, Parts of Books, Book Reviews
- Contracts in Context and Contract as Context, 45 Wake Forest L. Rev. 549 (2010) (with Larry DiMatteo) (Symposium – Contracts in Context: Identity, Power, and Contractual Justice).
- Symposium: First Amendment Issue in Emerging Technology – The Search for a Viable Theory of Regulation in the Digital Age, 47 University of Louisville L. Rev. 4 (2009).
- Equality-Based Perspectives on the Free Speech Norm: Twenty-First Century Considerations – An Introductory Essay, 44 Wake Forest L. Rev. 315 (2009).
- Reflections of A Novice: Four Tenets For A New Dean, 40 U. of Toledo L. Rev. 385 (2009) (Symposium: Leadership in Legal Education Symposium IX).
- The Inescapable Intersection of Credibility, Audience and Profit in Broadcast Media’s Coverage of Elections, 24 St. John's J. of Legal Commentary 479 (2009) (Symposium: Making History: Race, Gender, Media and the 2008 Election).
- Law Touched Our Hearted Our Hearts: A Generation Remembers Brown v. Board of Education – Brown as Catalyst (Vanderbilt Press 2008).
- Visions of Contract Theory - Critical Aspects of Contract Doctrine (Carolina Press 2007).
- The Salience of Power in the Regulation of Bargains: Procedural Unconscionability and the Importance of Context, 206 Mich. St. L. Rev. 925 (2007) (Symposium: Power, Inequality and the Bargain).
- The Jurisprudence of Media Access to Voting Polls, 4 First Amendment L. Rev. 107 (2005) (Symposium: The First Amendment and Press Coverage of Elections in the United States).
- The Endemic Reality of Media Ethics and Self-Restraint, 19 Notre Dame J. of Law, Ethics & Pub. Pol. 595 (2005) (Lead Article) (Symposium - Media Ethics).
- Lessons from Thomas More's Dilemma of Conscience: Reconciling the Clash Between a Lawyer's Beliefs and Professional Expectations, 78 St. John's L. Rev. 965 (2004) (Distinguished Colloquium Series and Lead Article).
- A Reexamination of Federal Agency Use of Declaratory Orders, 56 Admin. L. Rev. 1097 (2004) (with Jeffery Lubbers).
- The Commemorative Thomas More Address - Thomas More's Dilemma of Conscience: Understanding the Conflict Between Personal Beliefs and Professional Expectations, 44 St Dunstan's Church Friend's Journal 6 (2004).
- Democracy, Choice and the Importance of Voice in Contemporary Media, 55 DePaul L. Rev. 53 (2004) (Symposium - Race as Proxy in Law and Society: Emerging Issues in Race and the Law).
- Electoral Integrity: Media, Democracy, and the Value of Self-Restraint, 55 Ala. L. Rev. 1 (2003) [Lead Article].
- The Quest for Bargains in an Age of Contractual Formalism: Strategic Initiatives for Small Businesses, 7 J. Small & Emerging Bus. L. Rev. 233 (2003) (Symposium -The Eighth Annual Lewis & Clark Business Law Forum: The Role of Law in Small Business Transactions).
- The Dilemma of the Televised Fair Trial: Social Facilitation and the Intuitive Effects of Television, 8 Va. J. of Law & Social Policy 329 (2001).
- Gender Bias in the Courts of the Commonwealth, Colloquium - Essay: The Relevance of Gender Bias Studies, 58 Wash. and Lee L. Rev. 1073 (2001).
- Contracts As Noncommercial Law: Context and Unconscionability, 1999 American Association of Law Schools Conference on Contracts (materials accompanying the presentation).
- Law, Literature, and Contract: An Essay in Realism, 4 Mich. J. of Race and Law 1(1998) [Lead Article].
- The Teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Contract Theory: An Intriguing Comparison, 50 Ala. L. Rev. 63 (1998) (Symposium - Dr. Martin Luther King's Life in Proactive Engagement: The Lawyer As Social Activist in the Community).
- The Relevance of Race and Disparity in Discussions of Contract Law, 30 New England L. Rev. 889 (1997) (Symposium - Critical Race Perspectives for the New Millennium).
- Communications Law: Media, Entertainment, and Regulation (casebook and materials, co-authored with Professors D. Lively, Al. Hammond, R.L. Weaver) (Anderson 1997).
- Contractual Rules and Terms and the Maintenance of Bargains: The Case of the Fledgling Writer, 18 Hastings Comm. & Ent. L.J. 753 (1996).
- Contracts Limiting Liability: A Paradox With Tacit Solutions, 69 Tulane L. Rev. 715 (1995).
- Restraint of Controversial Musical Expression After Skyywalker Records, Inc. v. Navarro and Barnes v. Glen Theatre, Inc.: Can the Band Play On?, 70 Denv. U. L. Rev. 1 (1992) [Lead Article].