Managing Attorney, The Elder Law Clinic
Clinical Professor of Law
- "What is Elder Law?" 2013 Basics of Elder Law, N. C. Bar Association Elder Law Section, Cary, NC, October 25, 2013 (upcoming).
- "Ethical Issues in Representing Fiduciaries," Council of Advanced Practitioners, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Chicago, IL, August 15-16, 2013 (upcoming).
- Organizer and moderator: "Urban Myths -- Legal Legends about End-of-Life Care You Thought Were True," Part of WFU Baptist Medical Center "Exploring Ethics" series, April 18, 2013 (WFUBMC).
- "Long Term Care Insurance," N.C. Bar Foundation, Elder Law Section CLE; October 26, 2012; Cary, N.C.
- "Representing Seniors and Their Families: Pitfalls and Pointers," ABA Section of Individual Rights and Responsibilities; national webinar, October 5, 2011.
- "Employment, Age, and Disability Discrimination," at the National Aging and Law Institute. Program sponsors included the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the ABA, the National Senior Citizens Law Center, and the AARP Litigation Foundation. Boston; November 8, 2011.
- "The Legal Response to Elder Abuse," (moderator) and "Teaching Elder Law: What Works? What Doesn't?" (panelist), Southeastern Association of Law Schools, 2011 Annual Conference, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, July 24, 2011.
- "Adapting Medical-Legal Partnerships to Meet the Needs of the Geriatric Population," Annual Summit of the National Center for Medical-Legal Partnership; Baltimore, Maryland, March 24, 2011.
- "Medical-Legal Partnerships Serving the Elderly," National Aging and Law Conference (sponsors include ABA, AARP, NAELA), Alexandria, Virginia, December 11, 2010.
- "Housing, Employment, Age and Disability Discrimination," Advanced Elder Law Review Course, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys' annual meeting in Orlando, May 11, 2010.
- "Mediation Before the Clerk of Court," N. C. Guardianship Association Annual Meeting, Asheville, NC, May 20, 2010.
- "Doing the Right Thing: Perspectives on Ethics and Professionalism from the Multidisciplinary Team," (plenary panel) -- Conference on Interdisciplinary Collaborative Education Partnerships Between Law Schools and the Health Professions, September 25, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia.
- "Guardianship and Probate Mediation Before the Clerk of Court," 30th Annual Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Program, N.C. Bar Association Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section, July 2009, Kiawah Island, South Carolina.
- First Expert Group Meeting on the Rights of Older Persons; United Nations, Division for Social Policy and Development; May 4-8, 2009; Bonn, Germany, (available at http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/ageing/impl_map.html).
- "Ethical Dilemmas When Wards Improve," National Guardianship Association, 2009 Colloquium on Guardianship, April 25, 2009, Charlotte, NC.
- "Legal Preparation for Your Golden Years," Wake Forest University Professional Development Center, February 30, 2009.
- "Tweaking The Elder Law Practice to Achieve the Highest Professional Standards," 13th Annual Elder Law Symposium, N.C. Bar Foundation, February 27, 2009, Cary, N.C.
- "Preventing Exploitation Perpetrated Using Powers of Attorney," 13th Annual Elder Law Symposium, N.C. Bar Foundation, February 27, 2009, Cary, N.C.
- "Guardianship Training for Appointed Counsel," N.C. Institute of Gov't., Chapel Hill, N.C., February 1, 2008.
- "Grays' Autonomy: How International Law Advances the Rights of Older Adults." Moderator and program planner, AALS Annual Mtg., Program of Sections on Aging and the Law, and International Human Rights. New York City, January 2008.
- "Developing Law School Elder Law Clinics," Canadian Conference on Elder Law, November 2007, Vancouver.
- "Street Smarts for Seniors - Financial and Consumer Issues." North Carolina Conference on Aging; Sept. 2007, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- "Durable Powers of Attorney: Tool for Empowerment or Exploitation?" National Aging and Law Conference (conference sponsored by ABA Commission on Law and Aging, National Senior Citizens Law Center, and National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys). Oct. 2007, Washington, D.C.
- "Mediation and the Elderly," 2007 Annual Meeting of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS), Program of Section on Aging and the Law. (Washington, D.C.)
- "The Right of Tenants in Assisted Living Facilities," the University of Connecticut School of Law, 14th Gallivan Conference, "When We're 64: How Should Property Law Respond to Living Arrangements for the Golden Years?" February 2007.
- "Advance Directives and End-of-Life Issues of the Elderly," University of Florence, School of Medicine; June 2006, Florence, Italy.
- "Guardianship Mediation," Annual CLE, NCBA Dispute Resolution Section, Cary, N.C., May 11, 2006
- "Guardianship Mediation," Annual CLE, NCBA Elder Law Section, Cary, N.C., Feb. 24, 2006
- "Guardianships and The Alternatives," Mediation Inc. and Carolina Dispute Settlement Services, Training for Clerks' Mediation; Durham, N.C., Feb. 10, 2006
- "Elder Law Ethics," for "Basics of Elder Law," N.C. Bar Association, October 2005, Cary, N.C.
- "Long Term Care Insurance: What Your Clients Don't Know But Need To," Wake Forest University CLE, Raleigh, N.C., September 2005.
- "Grappling With the Gray Zone: Creative Legal Tools for Partial Incapacity," XXIXth International Congress on Law and Mental Health; July 2005, Paris, France.
- "Reducing Unnecessary Guardianships," N.C. Guardianship Association's 9th Annual Meeting; April 2005; Atlantic Beach, N.C.
- "Interviewing Older Clients," Annual Meeting of the American Association of Law Schools, joint session of the Aging and Law Section and Clinical Law Section, January 2005, San Francisco, CA.
- "Diminished Mental Capacity: An Overview of Legal and Medical Standards," Charlotte Estate Planning Council; November 2005, Charlotte, N.C.
- "Elder Law Certification Exam: Strategies for a Successful Exam," Certification Review Course of the National Elder Law Foundation, Nov. 2004, Colorado Springs, CO.
- "Guardians and Wards," N.C. Bar Association's 2004 Estate Planning and Probate Law Survey Course; Sept. 2005, Southern Pines, N.C.
- Course planner, Seventh Annual Elder Law Symposium, N.C. Bar Association, Cary, N.C., Feb. 2003.
- "Legal Issues in Palliative Care," Program sponsored by UNC School of Medicine, Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, the Carolinas Center for Hospice and End of Life Care, Lower Cape Fear Hospice, UNC-Wilmington, and the Coastal AHEC; Wilmington, N.C., March 2003.
- Program planner and moderator, "International Panel on Elder Law Issues," National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Annual Symposium, Miami Beach, May 2003.
- "Nursing Home Contracts: Traps for the Unwary," Presenter and manuscript; Wake Forest University School of Law CLE; Raleigh, N.C., Sept. 2002.
- "New Developments in the Law," Presenter and manuscript, N.C. Bar Association, Sixth Annual Elder Law Symposium, Cary, N.C. Feb. 2002.
- "Elder Law Developments Outside of the USA," (manuscript and panel presentation), National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA), Annual Symposium, Vancouver, Canada; April 2001.
- "Care Management and Guardianship: Effective Partnership or Conflicted Relationship?" - (panel) 5th International Care/Case Management Conference; American Society on Aging; Vancouver, Canada; June 2001.
- "Getting Good Care: Legal Tools and Trends," Alzheimers Disease Research Center Conference, Duke Univ. Med. Center, Durham, N.C.; Feb. 2000.
- "Guardianship Developments Outside the U.S.," International Conference on Courts and the Aging in the New Millenium; sponsors: National College of Probate Judges; ABA, Judicial Division; NAELA; National Guardianship Asso.; London, England; July 2000.
- "The Global Legal Climate: Individual Rights and Family Duties" and "The Development of Elder Law," Fourth Global Conference on Ageing; Montreal, Canada; sponsor: International Federation on Ageing (with co-presenter, Allan Bogutz, Esq.); Sept. 1999.
- "Marginal Capacity Issues and Legal Representation of Elderly Clients," American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA; Aug. 1999.
- "Elder Law Issues," ABA Connection Teleconference CLE, sponsored by ABA Sections of Family Law; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law; and General Practice, Solo and Small Firms. (890 participants), Aug. 1999.
- "Advance Directives, Powers of Attorney, and Other Issues," Wake Forest University CLE program, "Representing the Elderly," manuscript and presentation, Raleigh, N.C., Aug. 1996.
- "Ethical Considerations in Representing the Elderly," Wake Forest University Law School CLE program, "Representing the Elderly and The Incapacitated Child"; Raleigh, N.C.; 1994.
- "Planning for the Senior Citizen," ALI-ABA Estate Planning in Depth; Madison, Wisconsin, June 1994.
- "Legal Aspects of Long-Term Care in the Classroom and the Clinic." Association of American Law Schools, Annual Meeting, Jan. 1993.
- "Meeting the Special Needs of the Elderly." Forsyth County Bar Association/ Forsyth-Stokes-Davie Medical Society Annual Meeting, 1992.
Program planner and moderator, Elder Rights Committee of the ABA Section on Individual Rights and Responsibilities, ABA Annual Meeting:
- "Oregon v. Ashcroft: Death with Dignity, or Drug Abuse?" Washington, D.C., August 2002.
- "Eccentric, Independent, or Incompetent? Litigating Mental Capacity Cases: Views of a Litigator, a Judge, and a Psychiatrist." Chicago, IL, August 2001.